2020 has felt a lot like Halloween – Full of scares, surprises and masks…lots of masks. However, to lighten things up a bit this year, Varmint Gone wants to tell you some fun facts about bats – One of spookiest & most classic Halloween creatures of them all!
In reference to one of the creepiest days of the year, Friday the 13th, here we give you 13 fun facts about bats!
13 Fun Facts About Bats:
1) Bats are the only mammal capable of true & sustained flight.
2) Bats are able to see in the dark & use echolocation to find insects to eat.
3) Close to 70% of bats are insectivores.
4) Bats, much like cats, groom themselves frequently to stay clean.
5) An estimated 17 different bat species live in North Carolina, alone.
6) There are over 1,400 species of bat, worldwide.
7) Over 300 species of fruit depend on bats for pollination – Such as bananas, avocados & mangoes.
8) Certain species of bat can fly up to speeds of 100 miles per hour.
9) The oldest living bat is over 40 years old.
10) Like dogs, baby bats are known as ‘pups’.
11) Like humans, bats also have belly-buttons.
12) Bats have “over-powered” hearts to help supply them with enough oxygen for flight.
13) Bats can eat an estimated 6,000 bugs per hour.
Although bats are incredibly cool, important creatures for our ecosystem and we are celebrating all their special features here today, it is important to note that these winged-mammals should not be welcomed visitors in your home. Bats can cause an immense amount of damage & can lead to severe health issues over time. If you hear any of these spooky guests in or around your home, be sure to schedule an inspection online or call Varmint Gone at 888-391-3330 to help you assess your bat situation!
Happy Halloween from our team here at Varmint Gone!