According to Earth.com, did you know that around 52.5 million households own bird feeders? Yes, they can offer you the ability to bird-watch from the comfort of your house but could they be doing you more harm than good by inviting unwanted guests? In this article, we will discuss how bird feeders lure nuisance animals, like squirrels, to your home, the costly damage they can cause & how to prevent any problems.
How to Keep Squirrels Away From Bird Feeders
Squirrels are incredibly agile & clever. You may think it’s a simple task to keep them out – But you may be surprised at their abilities to find & obtain food, that you think is otherwise out-of-reach. In this video, you can get a glimpse of just how skilled they really are.
So what are some tried & true tips to keep squirrels away & off your bird feeders? Here is a list of our top 5 tips:
- Pay attention to where you place your bird feeders. Squirrels can jump up to 10 feet! If you keep the bird feeders within this distance of your home, it allows them easier access to being able to jump on & climb up your home.
- Squirrel-proof your current bird feeders or buy ones designed to keep squirrels out. Some companies have designed “squirrel-proof” poles, but if you want the DIY option, you can buy baffles to place on your current bird feeders or use petroleum jelly.
- Add foods that squirrels DO NOT like. Squirrels will eat a variety of different nuts & feed. However, they do not enjoy to eat: Safflower seeds, Nyjer seeds & White Proso Millet.
- Use Capsaicin feed. The “heat“ you feel in your mouth after eating a pepper is caused by capsaicin. Only mammals, like squirrels, are affected by it & birds can eat this feed all day without any adverse effects.
- Use scents that deflect squirrels. Squirrels highly dislike the smell of certain spices, such as garlic, onions, peppermint, cinnamon, lemongrass & clove. You can use these to make sprays by mixing the spice with water & applying it around the bird feeders.
The Damage Squirrels Can Cause
Each year, squirrel damage costs millions in repairs for homeowners across the country. One of the primary problems we find is that people are unknowingly attracting squirrels right to their doorstep. One of the ways homeowners do so is by having bird feeders. Bird feeders, for obvious reasons, attract squirrels and many other nuisance critters to your yard. Squirrels are agile creatures who will use whatever method they can to gain access into a home. Bird feeders serve as a bridge, allowing squirrels to easily set up camp in your attic. Once a squirrel has made a nest, they reproduce very quickly. Over time, these creatures will ruin electrical wires, contaminate attic insulation & create chew holes that lead to higher electric bills. To learn more about this damage & additional squirrel damage control for your home, view this article.
What To Do If Squirrels Are A Problem
It is important to get rid of squirrels as soon as possible in order to avoid squirrel damage including chewed electrical wires and insulation damage, not to mention the severe health issues that can occur if they are around you and your family. A professional squirrel removal company, like Varmint Gone, can resolve your issue. Varmint Gone identifies all entry points, evicts or exterminates any existing rodents and seals holes after we are certain all animals have been removed from your home or business. Varmint Gone is a licensed, insured, and local veteran owned company. We have prided ourselves on providing fast and reliable squirrel removal services to homeowners and commercial facilities, since 1983. Our squirrel exclusion jobs include a five-year warranty. This warranty covers all repairs and construction exclusion work against squirrels. Call Varmint Gone today at 888-391-3330 or schedule an inspection online to eradicate your squirrel problem!